How to Get in the Holiday Spirit in the Summer

'Tis the season...almost? As a cozy mystery author knee-deep in drafting a Yuletide book, I decided it was high time to infuse my life with some early holiday spirit. So, I embarked on a mission to turn my September into a winter wonderland. Armed with my trusty pumpkin spice latte, I set out to deck the halls a tad prematurely. My strategy? Complete sensory immersion.


Step 1: The Christmas Soundtrack 🎵

I figured that the quickest way to transport myself to a snowy December evening on an August afternoon was through the power of music. So, I popped in one earbud (because we must remain semi-functional to keep one eye on the TV) and queued up an instrumental holiday playlist. Jingle Bells, Deck the Halls, and the works. Within minutes, I was swaying to the rhythm, imagining sugarplum fairies and gingerbread houses. A good start, I thought! 


Step 2: Classic Holiday Films 📺

Next, I decided to dive into the classics. I searched for "Christmas movies" on Amazon. Amazon suggested a handful of titles, including, inexplicably, Patriot Games. Move over Die Hard, there's a new Christmas crosssover in town! Deciding I didn't want to spend money, I found a classic holiday gem for free. It's a Wonderful Life on TV, black and white, heartwarming tales of redemption – what more could you ask for? I snuggled up with a fuzzy plaid blanket, a decaf pumpkin spice latte, and my remote control. With every heartwarming scene, I felt my holiday spirit meter inching up. Mr. George Bailey, you're a true December hero! I was glad for the earbud piping in Christmas music; though we think of It's a Wonderful Life as a Christmas movie, only the ending is really around Christmas.

One of these things is not like the others



Step 3: The Illusion of Firelight 🔥

To complete the ambiance, I pulled up a YouTube video of a crackling fireplace on my laptop. Ah, the warmth, the glow, the...pixelation? Yes, folks, it turns out that even in September, YouTube fireplaces can't quite replicate the real thing. But hey, it was worth a shot, right? I guess the illusion of heat was unnecessary since it was over 80 degrees during this experiment. It was a livestream, and people were doing some sort of RPG in the comments that is best left to your imagination.


Step 4: Operation Yankee Candle 🕯️

Now, the pièce de résistance – the Yankee candles. I had scored these beauties earlier that day during their annual sale as I walked the mall, strategizing how to craft my holiday experience. Procrastinating, I had got a manicure and contemplated a red and white theme, green, or a snowy champagne glitter. I settled on a pink called Lobster Bisque that my tech kept calling "lobster biscuit." Yankee Candle had followed, and I couldn't wait to infuse my space with the scents of pine, cinnamon, and holiday magic. I lit all three small votives at once plus a big ol' three wick heavy hitter called Warm Pumpkin Bread from Goose Creek that my sister got me for my birthday. The combination of pine and baked goods helped grab that warm cozy feeling.


The Verdict: Moderately Successful 🎁

So, did my Yuletide immersion project succeed? Well, let's just say it was moderately successful. My living room now smelled like a gingerbread house that had been relocated to a pine forest during a snowstorm. I was still in August, but my heart had taken a detour to December. Sadly, my husband has not jumped on the early Yuletide spirit over this Labor Day weekend. "Can't we get through fall first?" he said from the armchair where our Halloweeny black cat Luna draped over his shoulder and he watched the Buckeyes play football, a cold Pumpkinville ale in hand. He was not excited to watch The Good Witch's Gift after the game, which a friend had suggested to me when I tried to crowdsource some holiday vibes.


If you have any secret techniques for mainlining Yuletide cheer before the actual season arrives, I'm all ears. Maybe people from Australia and the tropics can show me the way to warm yet cozy holiday spirit. My friends suggested a mixed bag of suggestions. Go for a walk in a pine forest? Eh, the heat will not help. Drink wassail? While Ernest Hemingway may have been able to drink and write, I don't think it's in my wheelhouse. Wait until at least fall arrives? Sorry, my muse says we write this book now. So I guess I'll be here, living in an alternate universe, waiting for the day when it's socially acceptable to wear reindeer sweaters again. Ho-ho-hope you enjoyed this holiday adventure! 🎅🎄🕯️

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing the Cozy Small Town: The Genesis of Silverbrook Falls, Ohio

Slaughter Before Samhain Interview